Garbage disposals can be incredibly helpful and efficient, but that doesn’t mean they are completely problem free! In fact, not knowing how to work a garbage disposal can easily create a messy and expensive plumbing problem. Our 24 hour plumbers have five tips to help you better understand how to use your garbage disposal.
- Run cold water prior to turning the garbage disposal on. It might seem counterintuitive because cold water will make fats and oils coagulate, but this actually helps your garbage disposal break them down. The fats and oils in liquid form can solidify further down the pipes and can lead to a clog.
- Do not put meat (especially raw) and grease down the unit. Raw meat can become stringy and get wrapped around the blades. Gristle can dull the blades in your garbage disposal, therefore making it difficult to grind disposed food up. If you dump grease down the drain then it can coagulate and form a clog in your drains.
- Put ice cubes down the drain. Ice is a very effective and inexpensive method for cleaning your garbage disposal, as well as sharpening your blades. Just toss a few ice cubes into the garbage disposal and run it. The garbage disposal will chop the ice cubes and melt down the drain. Do this once or twice a month to keep your garbage disposal blades sharp and help with your garbage disposal breaking.
- Put baking soda down the unit to get rid of odor. An easy homemade drain cleaner is made with baking soda and vinegar. To clean your garbage disposal pour ½ cup of baking soda into your garbage disposal, followed by a slow pour of ½ cup of vinegar into the disposal. Use a sink stopper to trap the fizz that will rise up from the dran and after a few minutes, once the fizzing has stopped, remove the stopper and flush the disposal with hot water while running the garbage disposal.
- Always unplug your garbage disposal before working on it! This might seem like a no brainer, but always unplug your garbage disposal before you begin to work on it! It can be very dangerous to try and fix an issue your garbage disposal is experiencing when your disposal is still connected to a power source.
Contact Your 24 Hour Savannah Plumber
Garbage disposals are a great help in the kitchen, but without proper care they can become more of a hindrance. If you are experiencing issues with your garbage disposal and are unsure what to do, don’t hesitate to call one of our plumbers for your plumbing maintenance needs. Contact one of your Savannah plumbers at 912.373.7707 today!